Saturday, May 10, 2008

Catching up.... yet again!

Alright, first off I am going to apologize again (yeah I know) for the lack of posts in the recent past... we have had a whirlwind month with TJ and Ashley visiting for two weeks, the change from cold to beautiful spring weather and well regular life! No excuses though, and I am here to catch you all up on what has been happening in the Far East...

Last post we tested our physical fitness with a hike up Mt Apsan... this time we have really expanded our Korean experience with a professional baseball game, a good ole college styles beer pong tourney, some new Korean cuisine, a trip down to Busan and a professional soccer game... Its been a jam packed month so I hope I can do it justice! The Sculls trip to Daegu will have to be in a second post as it seems as though I have a lot to talk about!

Samsung Lions

First on the list is our inaugural Samsung Lions experience.. and what an experience... a beautiful Saturday afternoon, sunshine, beer, ball... can it get any better? We rocked up to the stadium a little late for the game and got our tickets. $6 for a general admission ticket, we knew this was the start of a beautiful thing. Then, as I scanned the area for my new best friend (the beer vendor), all I could hear was a number of Koreans all shouting to get my attention so that I would buy my beer from them... the lady who was jumping up and down won my attention and I headed over. $2 a beer. Why can't sporting events in North America be like this? I am sure we would be heading out to support our team (or really any team for that matter) all the time!
We got our supplies and went in to find our seats... We found a big group of people from our baseball league all decked out in jerseys with their names in Korean on the back... talk about serious fans! We decided this would be the spot and settled into our seats. The sun was hot, the beer was cold and the game was ok (haha Korean sporting events are not really of the same caliber as the major leagues at home but who really cares?). As the game wore on, our seats became shaded and we thought it was time for a move... we moved into no man's land (one side of the stadium is filled with Lions fans and the other is the visiting team's fans) and watched our Lions beat the LG Twins! Now it was time to continue the day downtown...

Beer Pong Tourney

Now I am sure you are all thinking... where and why would there possibly be a beer pong tournament in downtown Daegu?? Well truthfully I am not sure about why but the where part is easy. Club That, a foreigner bar downtown decided to throw together this tournament where it was $20 to enter and it was all you could drink with prizes going to the winner of the tourney and the best dressed. Tae and I being the party poopers we are decided not to enter the costume portion of the evening but made up for it with our killer beer pong skills. Jay, Nick, Luke, Ian, Laura and Megan all took a stab at the costume contest with some HILARIOUS results. Jay and Nick actually ended up pulling off the win in this department and coming up with second place overall in the tourney. Not a bad showing for Team Canada. Not to mention they somehow had the entire bar singing the Canadian National Anthem every single time they won a match. Seriously 5 different times I sung Oh Canada that night! That has to be some kind of record in this country! Post tourney we were all pretty tired and hungry from the day of ball and the night of pong and headed to the Gimbap shop for a little late night meal and then home for a good nights sleep.

That's about it for your first installment... the next one is on its way (this time I promise!)

No comments: